5 Tips for Healthy Aging
September 20, 2022
September is National Healthy Aging Month, which is described by Healthy Aging Magazine as a “month designed to focus national attention on the positive aspects of growing older.”
What does healthy aging mean to you? If you're like most people, you're looking forward to removing the negative from your life – negative energy, thoughts, people and activities that don't contribute to your best life.
While we remain focused on ridding ourselves of the negatives, we can forget about ways to strengthen the positive parts of our lives. Dr. Shruti Basho, a family medicine physician at Renown Health’s senior-focused medical group, provides us with five positive behaviors to focus on to improve happiness and life satisfaction.
Healthy Aging in 5 Easy Steps
- Connect – Humans are naturally social creatures! Build connections with friends, family, colleagues and neighbors. Strong interpersonal connections help enrich your life with new experiences and opportunities. Having a support system to call upon in both times of need and times of celebration is priceless, especially as you age. Forming these bonds helps you stay healthier and happier well into your aging journey. Joining the Sterling Silver Club is a great place to meet more people in the community who want to live a healthy, fulfilled life just like you.
- Be Active – Regular exercise, particularly as you grow older, is vital to increase and maintain your endurance, strength and balance. But exercise doesn’t have to be a chore! Pick a physical activity that you enjoy – whether it be enjoying a nature walk, taking a power weightlifting class or anything in between. Being active will also help you build strong connections with others. If you need a workout buddy in your neighborhood, Nextdoor is a great resource to find people who live right around the block from you and may be looking for their next exercise partner.
- Take Notice – Curiosity and mindfulness can be an impactful motivator in positive cognition and behavior as you age. Like a child, see the wonder and beauty of the world. Notice the things around you – the weather, the landscape, the mood and the feelings of people. According to Harvard Medical School, changes in the aging brain "enable us to become better at detecting relationships between diverse sources of information, capturing the big picture, and understanding the global implications of specific issues.” By taking notice, it’s easier to learn to appreciate the things that matter.
- Keep Learning – Engaging with lifelong learning is one of the best ways to keep your mind active. Keep trying something new! Challenges keep you on your toes and increase your confidence and excitement in your day. Don’t know where to start? EPIC (Educational Programs Inspiring the Community) offers a diverse personal enrichment and professional development curriculum at Truckee Meadows Community College ranging from art classes to accelerated training certificate courses.
- Give – Be generous with your time, your knowledge and your talents by giving to friends, family and the community when you have the capacity. Lending yourself to others doesn’t have to be taxing – saying thank you and even just giving someone a smile can change the course of someone’s day. If you’re looking for a hands-on way to give back, Nevada Volunteers is a great place to find volunteer opportunities near you. Renown Health is also always looking for volunteers who are passionate about making an unforgettable difference to the people and communities we serve.
Practice these five tips to improve happiness and quality of life at any age.